Hotel Moireas kalamata messinias Greek flag Moireas Apartments located in Akrogiali - Avia, only 10 km from Kalamata.
Map of Kalamata View Moireas Hotel in Kalamata in a larger map In the Municipality of Avias, Paliochora, Archontiko, Akrogiali (Kopani), and Megali Mantineia are included.
Historical elements report to us that Paliochora was the Homeric gate –Iri-, which Homer calls -poiiessa]- that is, verdurous and fertile.
It was renamed Abia by the name of the wet nurse of Glinos, son of Irakleoys and Diianeira, who resorted to the region persecuted by Achairoys in order to save the baby.
Afterwards Kresfontis gave the gate the name Abia, and this ancient gate developed for 1400 years approximately, from 11th century B.C. until 3rd century A.D. Also Asklipeio functioned; in the ruins of that in 1775 the current temple of Virgin Mary was built.
In the place however of ancient Abia, the castle of Mantineia was later built, which belonged to Venetians and constituted seat of the homonymous Barony (early 15th century). It underwent however a lot of destructions from the Turks, during their occupation.
Mantineia was at some point in time abandoned by its residents, who settled down in the village Megali Mantineia. The devastated village took the name Paliochora.
However the inhabitants of Mantineia, they were very courageous and in the middle of the 19th century they began to inhabit once again the deserted coastal areas and create the settlements: Paliochora, Archontiko and Kopanoi (its current name is Akrogiali).
The settlements were continuously expanding. In 1922 the first school was built. Later in 1955 in the opening up of the Community road a Roman sarcophagus, Byzantine currencies, a Roman-Byzantine cemetery, a castle, earthen vessels etc.were found, that testify the existence of region existing from the prehistoric ages until the Byzantine and Post-Byzantine season.
Those regions therefore of the Municipality of Abias, Kardamylis and Leyktron the s called current Messiniaki Mani.
Approximately 10 to 13 km away of these beautiful regions, in the heart of the Messinian gulf and the foothill of Taygetus, Kalamata is situated. Her name is said to be taken by the Byzantine monastery, which was dedicated to the Virgin Mary Kalomata.
After the 4th Crusade, it was described as the Marseille of Morias. It is worth visiting the numerous Internet sites, in order to learn its history before visiting Kalamata.
Kalamata is the second-largest city of the Peloponnese in southern Greece. The capital and chief port of the Messenia prefecture, it lies along the Nedon River at the head of the Messenian Gulf.
It is an important urban, economic and commercial centre of the region, as well as an administrative centre of the prefecture of Messinia.
It has intense nightlife during the winter and the summertime, during winter in various small tavernas and bars in the historical centre, while during the summertime in clubs and beach bars by the sea. In Kalamata, the polytechnic schools and certain departments of the university of the Peloponnese reside.
The city offers complete and modern athletic buildings, where one can exercise. Finally it offers a new and modern hospital. Kalamata is renowned as the land of the Kalamatianos dance and the silk kerchief; of succulent dark olives, honey-eyed figs and the honey-covered sesame sweet called pasteli.
The city can be reached other Greek cities by bus and train. Furthermore, the city has an international airport and an important harbour.
Ferries are available to places such as the Greek island of Kythira. The Messenian Gulf where Kalamata is located has various long beaches. The Taygetus is located about 4 km east of Kalamata.
- Athens: 255km
- Patra: 215 km
- Thessaloniki: 715 km
Source: Wikipedia.org / Mani.org.gr